25 September, 2010

Tour De Fat

Tour De Fat:
1. Costume ride in San Francisco on a beautiful day with live music.
2. Fun-draiser for Bay Area Bicycle Coalition and Bay Ridge Trail.
3. A car for bike trade.


We rode our bikes over Golden Gate Bridge and into Golden Gate Park. Gary Fisher helped start the ride in a sharp plaid suit.

yellow shirt dude had some loud speakers

Some traffic found its way into our parade driving too fast. I was smiling and waving to drivers in an attempt to lower their speeds. A police officer on a bike was much more successful.

We chatted for a moment and it felt GREAT to have an officer in uniform on a bike regulating dangerous drivers right in front of me!

half of the festival parking lot
When we returned Gary was quickly pulled on stage during a faux-French comedy routine entitled "American Stupid". At one point Gary's bicycle horn stopped working. Have no fear, I jumped into action and handed Mr. Fisher my bike horn from the crowd.

talking bikes with locals

The music was great and I danced a bit. My favorite part is always meeting other transportation cyclists. We shared stories about our frustrations on the road and our optimism for the future.

freak bikes available to ride
video

my vintage Panasonic parade bike