09 March, 2009

Stop, Yoga Time

Sunday Heather and I went to Bikram yoga in Eureka. The instructors there are very good and make slight modifications to our forms that yield big results.

Yoga is much more than stretching, and for me the biggest benefit is learning how to breathe through strenuous exercise. I'll go once a week until the race.


Today I rode 22 miles to Clam Beach in 1 hour and 20 minutes.

The freezing nights and daytime temps around 50 F make it feel like winter again. The wind has blown away the clouds and I expect to get some good rides in this week, maybe even some mtn. biking.

My training is shifting from endurance to speed. I can ride 100 miles no problem. Now I need to ride 40 miles FAST!

--


Bikes & Stop Signs


Last week a driver called the cops on me for not "stopping" at stop signs. This college town has a lot of clueless bikers, but I am no longer one of them. This incident prompted me to write a piece for local papers. We'll see if it gets published.

"Bicycle Friendly Community" a purple sign declares at the start of "H" Street in Arcata. But last Thursday, as a driver described me to the police, I gave that promising sign a forlorn glance.

The driver witnessed me roll (at sloth like speeds) a series of stop signs going up "G" St. After repeatedly yelling at me from his van, he called the police. He wanted to see me place my foot on the ground at every intersection. Unfortunately for this upset driver there is no such law, but a new law is gaining attention that would allow bicyclists to roll stop signs.

California legislation may follow Idaho in allowing bicycles to yield instead of completely stopping at "Stop" signs. There are fundamental differences between bicycles and cars at intersections. The biggest differences are that bicycles are safer for the public, are self propelled, have unobstructed lines of vision, and encounter higher risk when mixed into traffic.

I share your frustration about impatient bikers who fail to yield at intersections, do you share my frustration about having 5,000 lbs of steel fly by with little regard for your life?

I was helpless when a truck broke my leg in 2005 on West End Road. Many drivers might be surprised to learn that at 30 mph the pedestrian fatality rate is nearly 50%, and it goes up steeply at higher speeds.

Bicyclists make Arcata and the world a more livable place. Our bicyclists should be cherished, especially in this "Bicycle Friendly Community."
--


--


Info on Bikes & Stop Signs